What is a Temporary Employee?
Temporary employees may be either faculty or staff who are hired in short-term employment for a defined period of time. Temporary employees have no entitlement or expectation to continuing employment and limited benefits.
Temporary employees do not accrue annual or sick leave.
Temporary Employees are eligible to receive/participate in the following:
AggieFit: Temporary employees who purchase an AggieFit membership enjoy access to the Activity Center and Natatorium, group fitness, and intramural sports.
Contributions/Benefits from the ERB Defined Benefit Plan
Temporary employees working 11 hours per week or more (.26 FTE or more) are required to contribute to the state retirement plan. Details regarding contribution levels and eligibility requirements to retire can be found on the Benefits website or on the New Mexico Educational Retirement Board (NMERB) website.
Employee Assistance Program: Temporary employees can utilize professional counseling services for personal and/or work related issues. Services are free and confidential.
Parking Permit: Temporary employees may purchase a permit, get RoadRUNNER Transit (bus) information, rent a car and more. [Permits are not needed for Alamogordo, Grants, Carlsbad or DACC East Mesa Community Colleges]
Photo Identification Card: ID cards are issued by ID Card Services. ID cards offer the following privileges:
- Participation in Aggie Cash (purchasing on campus items through payroll deduction – ask ID Services for details)
- Access to NMSU and community college libraries
- NMSU Barnes and Noble
- 10% discount on most regular priced merchandise offered to full-time NMSU faculty and staff (note: discount excludes computers, software, convenience items, regalia and some electronics).
- Special academic pricing is available for the in-store purchase of Apple computers.
- Taos Restaurant– Meal discounts may be available, please contact Dining Services at (575) 646-4801 for information on employee specials.
Unemployment Compensation: Former employees of NMSU may contact New Mexico Workforce Solutions if they wish to file for unemployment insurance benefits.
Voluntary Retirement plans: All employees may contribute to voluntary 403(b) and/or 457(b) plans through payroll deduction. Information regarding vendors and procedures are on the Benefits website.
Worker’s Compensation: All employees are covered for work-related injuries and occupational diseases. Injuries must be reported within 24 hours of the injury/illness.