Upcoming 2014 Events
|Sept. 23rd (Tu)
Corbett Center Auditorium
|Learn About your Retirement
Please join NMSU Benefit Services and NMERB to hear information on the NMERB defined benefit plan retirement process and additional NMSU retiree benefits that you may be eligible for upon retirement.
Read the details and print the flyer here.
Planning to Retire Soon?
Here are some things to consider and help you transition into retirement.
- 6 Months Prior to Retirement: Request an estimate of retirement benefits at least 6 months prior to retirement, but no more than 1 year before retirement. The request can be made through the Benefit Services department or directly from the NM Educational Retirement Board by using the NMERB Retirement Estimate Request Form. Please be advised: The NMERB can take 6-8 weeks to prepare the estimate. For immediate information regarding benefit amounts, you should login to your member account at http://www.nmerb.org/NMERB_Accout.html. If you need assistance with login or information located on this site, please contact the NMERB directly at 1-866-691-2345.
- 3 Months Prior to Retirement: Schedule an appointment with Benefit Services at least 3 months prior to your retirement date. Plan to spend 45 minutes to an hour with Benefit Services to complete all retirement paperwork.
- 9 month academic employees may retire July 1st or January 1st of each year.
- 12 month employees may retire the first of any month.
- Utilize Your Checklist for the rest of the details: Utilize the appropriate checklist to ensure you take all necessary actions at the correct time in the process. Each checklist further describes the information above.
NMERB/NMSU Retirement Presentations – April 29, 2014
Questions regarding the NMERB presentation should be directed to Karyn Lujan at the NMERB at 866-691-2348 or ERB-MemberHelp@state.nm.us.
Retiree Benefit Plans
You may be entitled to collect a retirement benefit through Social Security. Please contact them directly at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) to inquire about benefit eligibility.
- Online Services available at www.socialsecurity.gov. More information about online benefits here.
- Create an individual online account at www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount. Information about how to create a personal account here.