This benefit is available to eligible employees and their dependents. Eligible employees are considered regular status employees and non-regular term appointment employees working 30 hours or more per week. Eligible dependents may include spouse, qualified domestic partner, children to age 26 (the end of the month in which age 26 is attained), and disabled children age 26 or older.
New eligible employees must complete the Benefit Enrollment Form within their first 31 days of employment. Benefits are effective the first of the pay period after 30 days of employment.
Late enrollment is available at any time, with approval from the carrier. Late enrollees must complete the Benefit Enrollment Form and the Evidence of Insurability form. The enrollment form must be sent to Benefits Services and the Evidence of Insurability form must be sent directly to Dearborn. Coverage is effective the first pay period after approval is received. AD&D amounts are automatically approved if the Voluntary life amount is approved. Increases to the AD&D amount can be done at any time without evidence of insurability.
Premiums are based on age and paid 100% by the employee through payroll deduction. Note: Nine (9) month employee annual premiums are paid over the academic year.
Dearborn National | Website: http://www.fdl-life.com/ | Ph: (800) 778-2281
Voluntary Life Insurance
For voluntary life, Evidence of Insurability is required to:
- request an amount above guaranteed issue,
- increase an existing amount, and
- any amounts request through late enrollment.
Provider Plan Information/Handouts:
- Benefit Highlights and Rates
- Voluntary Life Insurance Booklet/Certificate of Coverage
- Evidence of Insurability– Required for late enrollments or requests for increased coverage
Employee Coverage is a minimum of $20,000 up to $600,000 in $10,000 increments
- New Hires are guaranteed coverage up to $200,000, if coverage is elected in the first 31 days of employment.
- Employees can add or request additional amounts of coverage up to the $600,000 limit through late enrollment, with restrictions. Approval of coverage is not guaranteed. Please see Benefit Services for details.
Spouse/Domestic Partner Coverage is a minimum of $10,000 up to the lesser of the employee amount elected or $100,000.
- New Hires are guaranteed coverage for a spouse or domestic partner equal the lesser of the employee amount elected or $50,000, if coverage is elected in the first 31 days of employment.
- Employees can add or request additional amounts of coverage up $100,000 limit through late enrollment, with restrictions. Approval of coverage is not guaranteed. Please see Benefit Services for details.
- The employee must have the minimum coverage to add a spouse or domestic partner. Coverage for a spouse or domestic partner cannot exceed the amount in place or requested for the employee.
Eligible Dependent Child Coverage options are:
- Option 1 – Under 6 months = $1,000; 6 months and older = $5,000
- Option 2 – Under 6 months = $2,000; 6 months and older = $10,000
Children can remain covered until their 26th birthday; coverage can continue past the 26th birthday for children qualified as disabled. Children can be added to the coverage at anytime, without restriction, provided the employee is covered for the minimum amount.
Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D)
AD&D premiums are paid 100% by the employee through payroll deduction. Employees can request coverage in the amount of $250,000, $200,000 or an amount between $10,000 and $150,000 in $10,000 increments. Family coverage may also be purchased in the same amounts.
Dependent coverage is a percentage of the employee’s elected amount, with a $25,000 maximum per child. The total cost is .021 cents per $1,000 of coverage for Employee Only option. The Employee/Family option cost is .032 cents per $1,000 of coverage.
A request to increase the voluntary AD&D only requires a Benefit Enrollment form.
Note: Nine (9) month employee annual premiums are paid over the academic year.
Provider Plan Information/Handouts: