Change in Status/Qualifying Event: Employees may add or delete an Eligible Dependent or themselves when a qualified change in status is involved. Examples of changes in status include, but are not limited to:
- Birth, Adoption
- Marriage, Divorce, Legal Separation, Annulment of Marriage
- Loss of Eligibility – dependent children age limitation
- Unpaid Leave (for cancellation of benefits only)
- Court Orders or Decrees
- Loss of Coverage under Medicare, Medicaid, or another insurance plan
- Taking leave under FMLA (for cancellation/reinstatement of benefits)
- Change in residence that affects ones eligibility for coverage (examples: moving outside of an HMO/POS service area)
- Gain/Loss of other coverage
- Establishment/Dissolution of qualified domestic partnership
Request for changes must be made within 31 days from the date of the qualifying event and supporting documentation of the change is required. Changes to coverage will become effective the date following the change in status; or the date of adoption, the date of birth for newborn children, the day before child reaches age limit and the day of legal separation/divorce. The requested change in benefit must match the change in benefit coverage.
Employees who are also the spouse, domestic partner or dependent of an employee of NMSU, State of New Mexico or any other entity participating in the State of New Mexico’s medical and dental programs, may be covered as either an Employee or Dependent, but not both.
To report a change in Benefits, please complete and submit a Benefit Enrollment or Change Form.
Open Enrollment Period – Medical and Dental Plans
Employees may elect coverage for medical and dental plans, without restriction, through the open enrollment process. The state of New Mexico Risk Management Division offers open enrollment for medical coverage every four years and dental coverage every two years. The next scheduled open enrollment for both plans will be Spring 2012. All changes made through open enrollment go into effect July 1st.
Switch Enrollment Period
Employees may change between the medical carriers during the switch enrollment period held in the spring of each year with all changes becoming effective July 1st of that year. Changes between plan carriers cannot occur at any other time, unless there is a change in status/qualifying event. During a switch enrollment, employees are also allowed to cancel coverage for themselves or their dependents on medical, dental and/or vision, however adding dependents is not allowed.