Change in Status/Qualifying Event: Employees may add or delete an Eligible Dependent or themselves when a qualified change in status is involved. Examples of changes in status include, but are not limited to:
- Birth, Adoption
- Marriage, Divorce, Legal Separation, Annulment of Marriage
- Loss of Eligibility – dependent children age limitation
- Unpaid Leave (for cancellation of benefits only)
- Loss of Coverage under Medicare, Medicaid, or another insurance plan
- Taking leave under FMLA (for cancellation/reinstatement of benefits)
- Gain/Loss of other coverage
- Establishment/Dissolution of qualified domestic partnership
Request for changes must be made within 31 days from the date of the qualifying event and supporting documentation of the change is required. Changes to coverage will become effective the date following the change in status; or the date of adoption, the date of birth for newborn children, the day before child reaches age limit and the day of legal separation/divorce. The requested change in benefit must match the change in benefit coverage.
Employees who are also the spouse, domestic partner or dependent of an employee of NMSU, State of New Mexico or any other entity participating in the State of New Mexico’s medical and dental programs, may be covered as either an Employee or Dependent, but not both.
To report a change in Benefits, please complete and submit a Benefit Enrollment or Change Form.
Open Enrollment Period
Employees may elect coverage without restriction, through the open enrollment process, for the plans listed below:
- Pre-Tax Premiums
- Flexible Spending Account
Open enrollment occurs in the fall, usually in October/November. During open enrollment, employees are allowed to add coverage, cancel coverage or add/drop eligible dependents. All changes made during open enrollment are effective January 1st.