Employees may add or delete an eligible dependent or themselves when a qualified change in status occurs.
Change in status includes but is not limited to:
- Birth, Adoption
- Marriage, Divorce, Legal Separation, Annulment of Marriage
- Loss of Eligibility – dependent children age limitation
- Unpaid Leave (for cancellation of benefits only)
- Loss of Coverage under Medicare, Medicaid, or another insurance plan
- Taking leave under FMLA (for cancellation/reinstatement of benefits)
- Gain/Loss of other coverage
- Establishment/Dissolution of qualified domestic partnership
Request for change must be made within 31 days from the date of the qualifying event and supporting documentation of the change is required. Changes in coverage will become effective the date following the change in status; or date of adoption, the date of birth of a newborn child, the end of the month in which a child reaches age the limit, and the day of a legal separation/divorce. The requested change in benefit must match the change in benefit coverage.
Employees who are also the spouse, domestic partner or dependent of an employee of NMSU, State of New Mexico, or any other entity participating in the State of New Mexico’s medical and dental programs, may be covered as either an Employee or Dependent, but not both.
What to do next?