Tuition Waiver for Employee
New Mexico State University encourages employees to engage in life-long learning to enhance their careers. Therefore, a tuition waiver program is available for eligible employees.
|Tuition Waiver Available to Cover:|
|• up to 6 credit hours during the spring semester|
|• up to 6 credit hours during the fall semester|
|• up to 8 total credit hours during summer|
Course Eligibility: Eligible courses are those supported by Instruction and General (I&G) Funding. This does not include challenged or nontraditional courses for which the university does not receive formula funding, nor any reciprocal agreements the university might have with other higher education institutions.
Tuition Waiver for Spouse or Domestic Partner
Credits not used by the employee may be used by the eligible spouse/qualified domestic partner. The tuition free courses taken by the employee and spouse/domestic partner must not exceed 6 credit hours for the fall and spring semesters, and must not exceed 8 credit hours during the summer session(s). This benefit is not transferable to another university employee who is eligible for a free course.
- For a Domestic Partner to take advantage of this program, a Domestic Partner Affidavit must be on file prior to approval of the tuition benefit form. The Domestic Partner’s Aggie ID must be recorded in the Banner System before eligibility will be granted.
- For a spouse to take advantage of this program, his/her name must be recorded in the Banner System and coded as a spouse. The spouse’s Aggie ID must be recorded in the Banner System before eligibility will be granted.
Waivers for Non-Resident (or Out-of-State) Employees
Employees who are students registered as out-of-state residents will be charged out-of-state tuition costs. Waivers will be adjusted to cover tuition at in-state rates only; therefore, a balance may be owed at the end of a session. Non-resident students who are also NMSU employees may opt to petition for NM Residency to receive in-state tuition. See details at the Registrars office at http://nmsu.edu/~registra/residency.html
Taxation and Fees
Only tuition and required fees included in the tuition rate will be covered by this benefit. The benefit does not cover additional fees such as ASNMSU fees or the purchase of course required textbooks or software. Employees are responsible for payment of any general or additional fees incurred as part of the registration in the class(es). To see a list of the scheduled fees, please visit the University Accounts Receivable website at http://uar.nmsu.edu/tuition-fees/. All courses may be subject to federal and state taxation. Domestic Partner benefits are taxable.
Where do I begin?
- If you are not currently registered as a student you will need to apply for admission (or readmission if you were formerly a student). Read more about this.
- Register for classes through MyNMSU under the Student tab.
- Submit a Tuition Waiver Request for approval through MyNMSU under the Employee tab.
- For employees to receive the benefit, the waiver must be approved by his or her supervisor. Requests that are denied by the supervisor will not be waived and the employee will be responsible for paying the full amount billed.
- For a spouse or domestic partner to receive the benefit, the waiver must simply be completed and submitted by the employee. (These do not route for supervisor approval.)
- Track and understand the status of your request using the Tuition Waiver Request Status Matrix.
- For additional information, please see our Frequently Asked Questions list.
The Tuition Waiver Request form is available online 10 calendar days prior to the start of classes. Below are the deadlines for electronic submission. Failure to timely submit a waiver will result in full tuition charges.
- April 1st for the Spring Semester
- November 1st for the Fall Semester
- August 1st for the Summer Session